Wednesday, March 11, 2015

100% From Food Storage: Chicken & Dumplings

When I started storing meals, I definitely took the saying to heart “Store what you eat, eat what you store.” One of our favorite meals is chicken and dumplings, therefore I stored...
Teaching the next generation. My son loves chicken & dumplings. His wife doesn't know how to make them. Last year I brought all the stuff over (100% for stored foods) & the grand children & I made chicken & dumplings. We had a blast. Everyone had two helpings, except the youngest one, who wanted more canned green beans.



I stored Jiffy mix (yes, now I have all the ingredients stored to make them now, I just use one batch of my biscuit recipe) and the very first thing I learned to can was chicken breasts. Everything I could use to make chicken & dumplings are now in my long term storage.



This is my very first cookbook. It is probably 54 years old. Wow! 


I still store Jiffy mix, don't hate me. I just like the convenience of the pre-made mix. I now store the mix in 1/2 gallon vacuum sealed canning jars. Those plastic jars are air permeable and will allow the mix to go rancid. So, here is what I pulled out this week to make chicken & dumplings.


First I opened the jar of chicken broth and brought it to a rolling boil.
Then I made and rolled out the dumplings nice & thin. The dumplings are just the biscuit recipe rolled out. 2 c. mix & 2/3 c. liquid. For the liquid, sometimes I use water, other times I use broth. Drop them in the broth and let them cook for about 5 minutes.


Then I added the canned chicken & cooked until piping hot. There you have it, a simply warm meal from storage. A super quick & easy meal in about 15 minutes.


For other recipes from food storage, look to your right on the blog under the recipe tag.



                

No comments:

Post a Comment