Sunday, October 27, 2013

Tools & getting started and organized

After about six months of prepping, I decided it was time to learn about pressure canning. I wanted to learn the skill before the SHTF & thought it would save me time & money in preparations. 
First, you need to know there is a great difference between pressure canning and pressure cooking. Seriously, you must learn that you can cook in a pressure canner, but you CAN NOT can in a pressure cooker. So I started with a Presto 16 qrt. (for the cost) with a weighted gauge. When prepping you also need to consider that you will also need replacement parts stored for the future. An extra rubber gasket, an extra weight, etc. This pressure canner does 7-8 jars at a time, a great starting place.
IMPORTANT TIP: When you are getting ready to purchase your canner, measure your stove CAREFULLY. You want to insure that the entire canner will fit on your stove & not hit any appliance that may be OVER the top of your stove.


You also need a set of canning utensils. I now have three sets currently. Plus timers (I have three) & clean dishtowels. I store them in a bag, which I keep inside my canner when not in use. That way I don't have to search for my tools, when I start canning.


I also have a little “S” hook that I use to hang my bag close to my stove during canning. That away I am able to access everything, yet it is out of the way.



All along my intent was to save for my All-American, which is top of the line & doesn't need replacement parts. Trust me it is well worth the cost. it does two layers of jars, increasing the amount of canning I am able to do at one time. So I now have two canners. 
Again: IMPORTANT TIP: When you are getting ready to purchase your canner, measure your stove CAREFULLY. You want to insure that the entire canner will fit on your stove & not hit any appliance that may be OVER the top of your stove. If you will note, even AFTER measuring, my All-American didn't fit on my stove top. UGH! It's o.k., now that I have moved one important thing I did was measure my new stove to insure my canner would fit. .

Prepper dogs...
Ever vigilant...




_________________________

What I do here is simply share our preparedness journey. If you liked this post we would love it if you joined our Perky Prepping Gramma community on Facebook, comment or share. Plus it would just make my day.



Your order is so very appreciated, because anything ordered through my Amazon Associate links helps me to be able to stay home and write for you.Perky Prepping Gramma is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.

1 comment:

  1. My grandmother, now 94, talks about how she used to can on a wood stove or fire. I would love to learn this skill. I really enjoy canning but I don't feel confident that I could can over a wood fire if shtf.

    ReplyDelete