Tuesday, January 27, 2015

DIY How To Make Blueberry Wine: Blueberry Week

 

Seriously, this is the recipe I wrote down to make the blueberry wine. Here is what it says:
1 pk, 2 gal., ferment, water warm, activate
15-20 day, stir, gas, shy (?), cheesecloth, moonshine jug, balloon w/ pin hole
sit 2 wk, clean, sed. settles, syphon tubing ----> 
arrow, bottles
Now do you know how to make blueberry wine? LOL. Now maybe you will understand when I say I don't use recipes.
Let me try to translate.

I pack of dry active yeast will ferment 2 gallons of juice into wine.
I decided to make only 1/2 gallon of wine for my first time. So I adjusted accordingly.
Add very warm water (110-115 degrees) to the yeast to activate.


 

Then mix the yeast and the (blueberry) juice.

 

I decided to start with small batches and test making the wine with honey (on the left and raw organic sugar (on the right). I used 1/4 cup for each batch.


Now it is going to sit on my counter for 15-20 days and will be stirred daily. I opted to use canning jars to store in while fermenting. There are several options to cap off the wine, one was placing a balloon on the top with a pin hole in it to release the gases. I didn't have a balloon so I used rubber gloves. See how they inflated? Just to be silly, I taped the fingers down to create the "I love you" sign. Mr. Perky suggested another sign. He is such a bad boy. But, then one of his nicknames for me is Mary Poppins. 
Just sharing the journey as I learn...


DIY How to Make Blueberry Wine (part 2)
                                               

I participate in the Amazon Associate program, where I receive a small % commission for linking products that I recommend. I only recommend products I personally used and like. Your support is very appreciated, anything you choose to purchase through my link, is helping me to be able to share more things that I do with you. Perky Gramma Teaches Amazon link.





No comments:

Post a Comment