Saturday, January 31, 2015

Catching Up on Vacuum Sealing...

Really vacuum sealing is as simple as 1, 2, 3. I needed to catch up on some sealing this week.


Vacuum sealing  product simply removes the air for the container. I have found this to be the easiest method of storing certain items. 
1) You place a lid (may be a used lid) on your jar.
2) Place the Food Saver attachment (this is the wide attachment) over the lid.



3) Place the tube from the accessory port into the hole in the top of the attachment, then hit the accessory button. With for the Food Saver to stop. Then it is sealed. Really, it is that simply.

 

If you have trouble getting a seal, try adding two lids and sealing. One will seal and the other will not. I also found out this time that my vintage jars didn't seal at all, even with a new lid. Evidently there is a slight difference in the size of the opening. Good thing to learn.

 

You may use "used" lids for vacuum sealing. I recommend you check your seals occasionally, maybe when you check you batteries for your smoke detector.  When I checked mine, I found a few items that I had sealed previously that needed resealing. Often, I trade out for a different canning lid at this point, just in case. Today I sealed noodles, pineapple, blueberries, lattes, chipped beef and mushrooms.



                        
I have an online Amazon Associate/store called Perky Prepping Gramma's Store. This allows me to show you the products I have personally used and endorse, while monetizing my work. What I found early on was people would ask me where I got such & such an item and I would simply share a link. 
Even on regular Amazon (not prime), on specific items, when your order reaches a certain point, I believe it's $35 the shipping to home is free. So, I created a store of these items I use frequently or recommend. It doesn't cost you anything extra, but I do receive a small percentage as an advertising bonus, if you purchase from my store. You are even able to just link in and do any of your regular Amazon shopping.

3 comments:

  1. I've had a few lids that wouldn't seal when doing vacuum sealing too. I have a thought but haven't tried this yet. Next time I do some sealing and run into this problem, I'm going to stretch plastic wrap on the top of the jar opening (pulling it tight and snug) and then re-seal with the lid that wouldn't seal to see if this might work. YOUR THOUGHTS?
    Bobbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had a few lids that wouldn't seal when doing vacuum sealing too. I have a thought but haven't tried this yet. Next time I do some sealing and run into this problem, I'm going to stretch plastic wrap on the top of the jar opening (pulling it tight and snug) and then re-seal with the lid that wouldn't seal to see if this might work. YOUR THOUGHTS?
    Bobbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, not sure that would work since it wouldn't give the attachment a place to withdraw the air from? ~Perky~

      Delete