Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Starbucks evangelism...


Why I do what I do… I have worked at Starbucks for nine and a half years now. Now I am taking this month off and one of things I will be doing is deciding if I will try to find another position as a barista in a town close by to where we are now living. 
Believe it or not, I feel that God called me to this job. I love working with my partners, I love most of my customers. Just don’t ask me about “grande, 2 raw sugars cappuccino”. Ugh! 
I have found that I have had far more conversations about faith (God, JC the whole thing and everything else in between) than I have ever had anywhere else. Including church. I love talking about peoples faith journeys. People are so hungry for spiritual discussions. As long as they are not feeling judged. I am just really curious and sincerely want to know why people are where they are in life. 
Let’s see there is "venti, 7 pump melon, passion tea lemonade": who grew up unchurched and is really trying to find what is real and not real. 
And what about "venti coffee with hazelnut syrup": grew up Catholic but is feeling very far away from all things God. Drinking, drugging, lots of meaningless sex. 
Then there is "double tall vanilla latte": grew up without any faith journey at home at all. She has been investigating pagan (ism?). 
Oh and "triple grande breve latte": married, lapsed Lutheran, who needs to talk about having an affair with her co-worker. 
Well then, I also have to mention "doppio espresso": who states proudly that she doesn’t believe in God, but in pirates. Seriously. 
The funny thing is I am a "fluffy, perky gramma" (I started using the "perky" term 10 years ago) and anyone that knows me, knows that I am totally in love with God. I realized some time ago that God calls me to be in relationship with his children that are tattooed pierced and disenfranchised. It started out as unintentional for me (not Him).
The stories go on and on… It’s not my place to judge anyone where they are on their journey, but to just honestly love people where they are at. And that is why I do what I do. 
I live my life by my vision statement of "Love God, love others, it's simple" and my life's mission statement is "entice the skeptic, challenge the lukewarm & ignite passion in the believer".  This applies across the board from work to what I do here as a prepper. 
This month of decision making is going to be interesting to say the least. I guess some of it will depend on if the new Starbucks location will accept my strange restrictions on when I will work. I have a funny feeling that I feel that I may wind up back at Starbucks, we will see. We will see if God is still calling me to this job.


While this is being written in late July 2015, I am post dating the blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment