Friday, May 30, 2014

How to Make Brown Sugar...

Making your own brown sugar is really simple.
November 2013, I learned how to make brown sugar. I really wish I had know this before I stored brown sugar.
What is strange is I knew in the back of my mind that molasses was added to cane sugar to make brown sugar. I just didn't know how simple it was. Add brown sugar to the list of things I no longer will buy & store. Thank you to Susan Harris Weido for sharing how simple it was.
Recipe:
1 C. granulated sugar
1 T. molasses for light brown sugar
2 T. molasses for dark brown sugar
Mix with a fork. 
TIP: I wrote the recipe on the lid of my jar, in case I forget. LOL.
Also, if you are not storing molasses, I personally think you should It is one of those items that stores extremely well and for a long time.



I like to share hand me down photos, these measuring spoons were my MIL's.

2 comments:

  1. Are you aware that molasses is a by-product of the process of sugar cane into white sugar? So that when making "brown" sugar you are returning the molasses to the sugar......
    http://buythaisugar.blogspot.com/2012/07/processes-in-raw-thai-sugar-cane.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cherl, That was one of the things I actually did know, but hadn't put two and two together. Silly, huh?

    ReplyDelete