Monday, May 12, 2014

Planting the Three Sisters (corn, beans and squash)

Last year I started with only a few types of plants for my garden. I wanted to keep it simple, since I was learning everything from scratch. This year, I decided to try plant my corn, beans and squash with the Three Sisters method. This method is companion planting of plants that are mutually beneficial to each other, which is based on the three main agricultural crops of various Native American groups in North Americasquashmaize (corn), and climbing beans (typically tepary beans or common beans). These happen to be my favorite plants i grew last year.
Here is my garden. They are starting to grow now. 


This is a corn and bean mound. Note the corn is planted in four corners & the beans were planted in the opposite corners about two weeks later.

This is one of my squash mounds. I haven't thinned them out yet.                                                                               

A great informational article from Mother Earth News on "The Three Sisters: Corns, Beans and Squash". I found this video helpful when it came to actually plating the crops.

No comments:

Post a Comment