Monday, July 29, 2013

Safety; Avoiding cross contamination...

I am an absolute stickler about cleanliness, sterilization and cross contamination. It may seem to be common knowledge, but it is always good to be reminded of safety procedures.
First: Always cleaners on hand. Clean your preparation surfaces & your sink. I also do my stove.

Insure your sink is super clean & wash your hands often.



Sterilize ALL your equipment you use. I always have two sets of various items prepped (sterilized), just in case. Yesterday, I was pressure canning some ground sausage and my funnel became contaminated by making contact with raw pork. So, I tossed it in my contaminated pile in the sink and used my second funnel, which was already sterilized.


When I am canning, my sink it set up something like this:
I have a spot to place utensils that are being used and are in contact with raw meat.
I have container that holds items that have only been in contact with cooked meat.
Then I have a bag, to place items that have been cross contaminated. 

Probably the most important things to remember is ALWAYS avoid cross contamination between raw meat and cooked meat. Hope this reminder is helpful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment