Sunday, September 21, 2014

It's the time of year for elderberry juice...

This weekend I made my third batch of elderberry juice for this week. Actually I made 6 batches total. Seriously, I am so glad I had all the supplies on hand in my larder. The first batch was for three people at work who had a very bad cold. They were a bit hesitant at first, but it was so much fun to make them try it and see them experience relief within minutes.
I am telling you, this stuff is golden. I personally use it for relief of allergies, colds and flu. Also the juice is great as an immunity builder, particularly if you have been exposed to someone with a cold or flu. (more on benefits of elderberries at Herb Wisdom)
I am making more since that nasty little cold bug seems to want to catch me & that isn't going to happen.
Today’s batch is made from elderberries the guys picked a little while ago, which I dehydrated. The ginger is from my friends at Gold Hill Blueberry Farm, which I also dehydrated this weekend. The honey is from a local grower.
The recipe is very simple & only takes about 40 minutes total.
NOTE: I have written the basic recipe on the top of my jar of elderberries, so that it is always handy.


Elderberry Juice
½ cup of dehydrated elderberries (If using fresh elderberries use 1 cup)
3 cups of water
I add several slices of dehydrated ginger
1/3 -1/2 cup of honey

Add the elderberries, water and ginger in a saucepan and simmer for 30 mins. Strain out the berries and ginger. Add honey to taste.


I pour the juice into these nifty bottles I got from Ikea. It will last about 6 months in the fridge. Today I am freezing some of the juice in ice cubes trays and will keep in my freezer. The five spaces with brown liquid is juice from the ginger root.
Edited: 092514 Here you have it elderberry/ginger juice ice cubes, vacuum sealed & ready to store. This morning I simply added a couple cubes to my morning drink. Yummy! Yes, I had already gone through my bottle of elderberry juice I made.
Must say it has worked wonders. I know that cold is trying to catch me, but with my juice I refuse to be caught by this cold! 



To find economical dehydrated elderberries and organic dehydrated  elderberries you are able to find them on Amazon (associates link: note these have additional shipping). I have used both and believe they are excellent products. I will be finding and planting elderberry bushes on our property. I also am going to get some ginger to grow from a friend.

Made it just in the nick of time. I have been using the elderberry juice regularly. 

EDITED 102414: Just found this wonderful blog post: "Elderberries: The Definitive Guide" by Sun Flower Press

No comments:

Post a Comment