Saturday, September 14, 2013

Store what you eat, EAT what you store...

I know you have heard this before, but let's be honest here. Do you have food stored that you won't eat?
I have about 5 times the amount of pressure canned chicken than any other meat. Why? It is the one meat that I am constantly using from my stores. 
Next, would be pork. Because DH keeps bringing it home.
It has been way over decade since I have eaten Vienna sausages, why would I store them? 

Try it out...
For example, before I learned I could pressure can meat, I tried hard to find various types of shelf stable meats. The standards, tuna, chicken, etc. 
I would slowly walk up and down the aisles of the grocery store see what I could find,
I would buy a product (like sausage in a can) & try it BEFORE I would buy more. The sausage in a can was disgusting.


One big mistake (for us) was I found a group of shelf stable salt cured ham products.I bought several, before I tried it out, When I tried to use it, I found no matter what I did, it was WAY to salty for my taste. 


But, I learned a valuable (if not expensive) lesson. Test unknown products.
The next lesson I learned, was I needed to take more control over what I could store. That is why I learned how to pressure can meats. 
If you haven't tried pressure canning, for what ever reason, I want to encourage you to give it a try. It will change your preparations drastically. 
Learn more on fears: Pressure Canning Fears


1 comment:

  1. I'm enjoying your posts on how you started, Before I started canning I would always buy sale items in bulk. One time I bought a few cases ofname brand green beans and they were horrible! Super salty. I added a few cut up potatos to the (rinsed) beans and they weren't to bad. The taters absorbed most of the salt. Another thing to add to your list is lard. Find a good sale and decant it to smaller jars. A large can would spoil before we could use it all & canning it in pint jars worked well for us

    ReplyDelete