Sunday, March 10, 2013

Ye Lovely Fermenting Crock (adventure in making saurkraut)....

My lovely mother-in-law lived with us for the last few years of her life. Afterwards, everyone came and took what they wanted from her belongings & I got the "leftovers".
Actually, I got what I consider to be the most important stuff by default, like this wonderful crock.
But, I didn't realize how lovely a gift it was until I decided to make my own sauerkraut.

I use the instructions from Canning Granny's Blog. The instructions are there, so I won't repeat them. I'll just add a couple highlights. I have always like to cut my cabbage in 6ths & cored them.

 
Then you slice the cabbage up. I highly recommend that if you use a mandolin slicer, like I use, purchase a kevlar glove. Even being careful you can end up cutting yourself badly, like I did the first time.

 


Keep your hand firmly inside the grip/handle. :)


 
I don't have the actually top stones for my crock. The main thing you want to accomplish is to keep the cabbage pushed under the brining solution. I took a zip lock bag with additional brining solution in it, is case some leaked out. Then I added my canning stones.
Now it is sitting for 6 - 8 weeks in a cool place. Every few days, I will skim any scum that has developed on top.


No comments:

Post a Comment