Thursday, June 16, 2016

Spilling the Beans on Practical Prepping...


What I haven't told you is since we purchased our new home (about a year and a half ago), I have actually been testing my storage and using everything from my preps. The truth is I didn't want to have to move all of our preps. I have learned a LOT. Now I am ready to spill the beans about what I have learned about practical prepping. What works and what doesn't work, how prepared we actually turned out to be. Also showing you the various adjustments I am making to my storage with this new paradigm shift. This is really changing up how we prepare. Duh, learning the skills to make stuff.

Let's start with my initial Make a List: We were started prepping, the very first step for me was I simply started by making a list of everything thing we used everyday. Literally, from the time I woke up I wrote down what we used...this worked extremely well.


Things like: water, meds. (prescription and OTC's), TP, soap, shampoo, conditioner, etc...


I utilized the principle of "use one, but two". I really had more than enough stored. But then I have decided to actually store less and learn to adapt my thought process.
Let's just use three examples.
First, toilet paper. I had two years worth of toilet paper stored by the time we were getting ready to move. i had to laugh. I found out that sometime along the way, the toilet paper company had reduced the size of the roll by about 1/2 an inch. 



 What I am doing now. I have 1 year of actual toilet paper stored & I have a box of clean clothes that I cut from old shirts I was getting rid off to use as personal clothes.  I have black, white and cream colors. Each has it's own purpose, if you get my drift. You could even store red ones if necessary. I pick really soft materials, since it was available. I chose a years supply in case it was just a loss of job, or something medical so we could have a decent supply of t.p. 


But, in case the SHTF, we might as well just get used to using the cloth. These personal clothes are now sitting on a top shelf in the bedroom ready when needed. 
The bonus is, it is already prepared a head of time and takes up less storage space. Certainly better than depending on leaves. 

Now, shampoo. Even after using a years supply, I found I still have at least 3 years worth of shampoo and conditioner. I am going to work that down to about a years worth (to save storage space). Again, 1 year to store; but now I will be increasing my storage of baking soda to make my own shampoo and conditioner. Just another great principle of prepping: learn how to make it. It really is simply to make.
I have also learned how to make my own vinegar and I am growing my own herbs for tinctures.


While I am at it, here is my recipe for DIY Toothpaste. I still have a least two years worth of toothpaste stored. I am going to run that down to one years supply. Again reducing actually toothpaste I am storing, since I already store the ingredients in bulk. Saving time & money. 
Three simple things/skills that I have learned that are now reducing what I have to store in my preps.

What I do here is simply share our preparedness journey. If you liked this post we would love it if you joined our Perky Prepping Gramma community on Facebook, comment or share. Plus it would just make my day.

   
Your order is so very appreciated, because anything ordered through my Amazon Associate links helps me to be able to stay home and write for you. Perky Prepping Gramma is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.




No comments:

Post a Comment