Friday, January 24, 2014

Did you know that hair smells like hair?

Update 0417: I have been reevaluating what I store, now I am no longer storing shampoo or conditioner. I still have about two years worth of shampoo and conditioner stored. Now I store the things to make shampoo and conditioner (listed below).
Did you know that hair smells like hair?
I think we have been conditioned to expect hair to smell like something else. What I realized, I was living in a "fake" coconut scented cloud. I didn't mind, but I also didn't realize that I was in that cloud all the time. I have mentioned that I am extremely sensitive to smells. Now my hair smells like hair. 
I started the no-poo journey in August 2013. Started simple and thankfully I adjusted well to the process.
Here is what my hair looked like this morning. It was dry and fly away, so I added just a bit of coconut oil with peppermint essential oil (the peppermint is new) to the ends. Personally, I only had a few days of adjustment when I started the no-poo process. My hair is not color treated & is fairly dry.


I have adjusted things according to how my hair turns out. I also only wash the scalp portion of my head & I do wash it everyday. I think that is just out of habit. For the conditioner, I only apply and then wash it directly off. 
If my hair is still dry and fly away I add just a bit of little coconut oil. Now I use the tin that has peppermint essential oil.. When I mean just a bit, this is the amounts I work with. Adding little bits, until I feel my hair is good.


When I started, I found the recipe here: "Love Yourself Naturally".
Items Needed:
Squirt Bottle with Pointed Tip (use a mustard bottle or 12-oz. Squeeze Bottle)
Spray Bottle
Baking Soda
Vinegar (Use Apple CiderVinegar for Dry to Normal Hair, White Vinegar for Normal to Oily Hair)
Water

No-Poo Shampoo
    1. create a solution of baking soda and water in your squeeze bottle – 1 tbsp of baking soda to 1 cup (250ml) of water. Try to use distilled water if you live in a hard water area. Make sure the baking soda has completely dissolved. The liquid should feel slippery in your hands (if it doesn’t add another tbsp of baking soda).
    2. create a solution of vinegar and water in your spray bottle – 2 tbsp of vinegar to 1 cup of water. Shake to combine.
    3. WASH: wet hair and, using the pointed tip of the bottle, apply the baking soda solution to the roots of your hair and massage into your scalp with your fingertips using small circular motions. DO NOT apply this mixture to the entire length of your hair. Leave on till it starts to feel “slippery” then rinse well, I mean REALLY WELL.
    4. CONDITION: spray the vinegar/water solution on the length of your hair, focusing on the ends. DO NOT apply to the roots and scalp. Leave this on for a minute or two before rinsing.

NOTE: the vinegar may smell quite strong while you’re using it but don’t worry, your hair will have no odor once it dries.
NOTE: The squirt bottles don't last too long, so I am looking around to find a heavy duty squirt bottle for the cleansing solution.


Recently I started adding a drop of Plant Therapy Peppermint EO to the hair cleansing solution & a couple drops to the conditioning solution. It was one I wanted to start testing out. It is a little tingly, which I like.


Well, there you have it. I must say I started this without believing it would work. I know there are people that have had troubles adjusting. But for me, it has worked out really well. In the process, I found out that I was slightly allergic to the hair products I was using. I used to get itchy spots on my back and haven't had them at all since I changed. I will not be going back to commercial shampoo & conditioner. Now what am I going to do with those half bottles of shampoo & conditioner I have left in the shower?


What I do here is simply share our preparedness journey. If you liked this post we would love it if you joined our Perky Prepping Gramma community on Facebook, comment or share. Plus it would just make my day.

   
Your order is so very appreciated, because anything ordered through my Amazon Associate links helps me to be able to stay home and write for you. Perky Prepping Gramma is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.



No comments:

Post a Comment