Thursday, August 14, 2014

Depression is real...

Many people are shocked that Robin Williams death was a suicide by hanging; for me it has pushed me to be open and to encourage all of you of the need to have thoughtful conversations about depression. First, if you are having thoughts of hurting yourself or are thinking about attempting suicide, please get your phone and call 911 right now. Or call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 800-273-TALK (800-273-8255) to reach a trained counselor. Use that same number and press 1 to reach the Veterans Crisis Line.
Personally, I feel the more people are willing to talk about depression, the less stigma will be attached to the disease. Generally I only discuss my depression, when I see the need in a one on on situation...
Each story is different
For me personally if TEOTWAWKI should happen, my life and many others will change. If there comes a time that medications are not available, I will have alternative plants available but they will only help a tiny bit for me.
Generally, I will be in a position of being a LOT more emotional, crying a lot more (no control) and the part I don't like the most...is the inability to actually get up and move from a location.
It is like being frozen almost or having many wet blankets dropped over my body. 
All of this is currently handled through modern medicine.
I have been dealing with depression since I was a teenager.
While medications help a lot, there are still times that are really tough. Actually now is one of those times I am struggling.
But, I have told the three people whom I trust, exactly what is going on right now, the symptoms that are manifesting currently and they are watching me carefully. I find this open communication helps me a lot. I am not suicidal.
Depression isn't the only medical condition that will a huge issue if the grid goes down. My hope is that you will be honest with your loved ones & do what you are realistically able to do in your preparations. These conversations are important. 
Just so you know, I will not tolerate ANY bullying, nasty or cruel comments towards me or anyone on this topic today. This is your only warning, you will automatically be banned.
Depression manifests itself in many ways.
Links to learn more about depression:

5 comments:

  1. I just had to call the PTSD line last week for my son, triggers... self medication... bottling up the horrors of his accident in Iraq.... thank you for posting this, no one understands what its like... the pain... the anguish... the need to not feel the pain....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank God you knew what to do. It doesn't make it better, but it can help just a little to have understanding. My prayers go out to you and yours today. ~Perky~

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog, I read every last con picking one of your posts. I am a fellow homesteading Homeschooling mother of four and I struggle with anxiety at times. Love you Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sweetheart. I understand anxiety too. Love that you are here. <3

      Delete