Monday, March 31, 2014

Grid Down: DIY "How to" vacuum seal food in canning jars without electricity....

Imagine, the electrical grid is down and you would still like to vacuum seal various foods in canning jars. Alrighty now, this is a Mityvac Automotive Test and Bleeding Kit. Donna Hoaks was telling me that you could use this for vacuum sealing jars in a grid down situation. 

I asked DH about it and he had just happened to have an old one in his tools.
This is very simple, uses no electricity, just a little human energy.




 We had to purchase some more tubing, since it was old & we didn't have any tubing that was long enough.
You assemble the Mityvac Automotive Test and Bleeding Kit & add a lid to the jar. You may use a "used lid" in good condition for vacuum sealing. 

Place the Foodsaver Wide Mouth Jar Sealer firmly on the jar.
Attach a tip to the hand vacuum kit, insert the tip into the top hole on the jar sealer and start pumping.
I started pumping until I heard the jar seal and continued for several more pumps. It's that simple.







Look! It is all sealed up. 









This really works well. Perfect for Grid-Down Storage.

         

Thank you for reading this article. As you see from the pictures, I simple share what I am doing to prepare for my family. We would love it if you joined our growing community on Facebook at Perky Prepping Gramma.
I participate in the Amazon Associate program, where I receive a small % commission for linking products that I recommend. I only recommend products I personally used and like. Your support is very appreciated, anything you choose to purchase through my link, is helping me to be able to share more things that I do with you. Perky Gramma Teaches Amazon link.

7 comments:

  1. I learned a lot and didn't even think about when the power went out, so I ordered another brand and tried it out. Works great! Thank you for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for ones marvelous tips.I really helpful read this blog.If you want to know about more this Please visit out website vacuumsealerland Vacuum Sealers are perfect for storing vegetables, fruits, meats and more. As we enter the modern era, Vacuum Sealers have come down dramatically in price – thanks to better and more healthier competition on the market place. However, with competition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for awesome article. Very helpful for me. http://www.vacuumsealerzone.com is another awesome site for vacumm sealer related product review tips and much more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our team of experts have selected the best vacuum sealers out of hundreds of models. Don't buy a vacuum sealer before reading these reviews.
    read more

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best VacVacuum sealers Review can be an effective way to store food, whether bulk cuts of meat in the freezer, cheese in the refrigerator, or resealing potato chip bags in your pantry. Vacuum sealers remove air from your food, extending the life of your ingredients and preventing freezer burn or mold from developing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What's the distinction? On the off chance that it's simply an issue of getting however much air out of the container as could be expected, it truly seems like the vacuum strategy would be more compelling and would eventually get more air out of the container. That's why, vacuum storage bags jumbo is the most preferred.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing this useful information. hole sealer

    ReplyDelete