Saturday, June 15, 2013

I say tom-A-to, you say to-mah-to...

On the debate of water bathing or pressure canning tomatoes:
Please note I am NOT an expert.

My answer is as simple as “know what you grow”.

.
Here is the fact: To decide if you water bath or pressure can food depends on the acidity level.
High acidity=you can water bath. Lower acidity=you need to pressure can.
The debate revolves around the issue that newer breeds of tomatoes may or may not be acidic. But, if your know what your are growing or buying, I would think the answer is easy. 
So, if you are canning “new” types of tomatoes (from the store or what you grow); ADD vinegar to raise the acid content back up for water baths.

Does that make sense?
I am growing Desters this year.

About the Dester
New! A large pink beefsteak variety that reaches 1-1 1/2 pounds. Its rich sweet flavor makes it an excellent slicer. The seed came to us from an Amish lady just a few miles from our Baker Creek farm. Anna worked as a house cleaner for Dr. Dester and his wife in Indiana in the 1970's. Having acquired the seed from Germany, the Desters shared their favorite tomato seed with Anna, who treasured it and now shares it with us. One of our best tasting tomatoes.

I know the story, therefore I know what I grow & they will be water bathed.



No comments:

Post a Comment