Thursday, August 6, 2015

How to Use Your FoodSaver: Plus 4 Great Tips

Actually we already had the FoodSaver when we started preparing. Mr. Perky had purchased it for freezing up meats. It does a bang up job and really does extend the freezer life of various foods.
But, make sure you get the version that has the accessory tube/port for vacuum sealing. For me, this has been an invaluable tool for prep storage.
Vacuum sealing with the FoodSaver is actually very simple. The items I have stored this way have lasted at least three years and are still in fantastic shape.  



Vacuum sealing or dry canning has really improved our food storage. There are now so many fantastic choices in my pantry now: cereal, grains, beans, powdered item like spices, dehydrated fruits and vegetables and let's not forget my favorite prep chocolate!


1) Add the item you are storing into the jar. TIP: I have found that the funnel that comes with canning utensils it extremely helpful particularly when working with dry ingredients.


2) Place a lid on the jar.
TIP: You may use "used" lids after canning for this purpose. But, I highly recommend only using the best used ones, without nicks. I have found that sometimes these lids will unseal because they can't create a tight permanent seal. 

3) Add FoodSaver attachment (both regular and wide mouth are available). The lid is dated with when I vacuum seal the item in the container.

4) Then attach the nozzle from the accessory port on the Food Saver.

 

5) Turn on your machine and hit the "accessory" button.



TIP: If you are having difficulties getting a seal, sometimes you may use two lids when sealing & only one will attach. Not sure why this works, but lots of people have to do this extra little step. Then, pop off the nozzle from the accessory tube. 
TIP: Also, I have found that older canning jars have a higher failure rate for vacuum sealing.


6) Take off the lid attachment.


There you have it. Everything from dehydrated chipped beef, blueberries, raspberries, mushrooms, crackers & Amish noodles to storing your favorite chocolate for when the grid goes down.




It really that easy to vacuum seal & store your food for a very long term storage. After your basic purchase you may want to consider a Mityvac Automotive Test and Bleeding Kit, for when the grid is down. 


The Mityvac is simple to use & you will be able to seal and reseal your jars if you learn about "Grid Down: DIY How to Vacuum Seal Food Without Electricity" (How to instructions here). 

          

Thank you for reading this article. As you see from the pictures, I simple share what I am doing to prepare for my family. We would love it if you joined our growing community on Facebook at Perky Prepping Gramma.
I participate in the Amazon Associate program, where I receive a small % commission for linking products that I recommend. I only recommend products I personally used and like. Your support is very appreciated, anything you choose to purchase through my link, is helping me to be able to share more things that I do with you. Perky Gramma Teaches Amazon link.

6 comments:

  1. Do you think that the older lids would seal better if you kept them in a warm oven(the lowest it will go, or heated then turned off), so they stay dry but heated, before you use them. When canning, you keep the lids in hot water so the rubber stays pliable, so they seal better. Or would the dry heat make them brittle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. K,
      That is an interesting thought. I probably wouldn't do that personally. I am still trying to get used to changing my habits with the recent changes to the Ball Canning lids.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete