Monday, February 3, 2014

One Pomelo: 6 uses

I really enjoy trying new foods. I did a lot of reading and did all of this on Sunday with my new friend the pomelo fruit. First I cut the top off.
Then I cut into the skin and through the pith, scoring it about 6 or 7 times.
Then you dig your fingers into the top, into the fruit and open it up.
Look how nice that looks. Then I took the sections of fruit out. Then I made a pomelo hat. Evidently this is what you are supposed to do. No, really. Try goggling "pomelo hat", it may surprise you. So, here I am in my first pomelo hat.
Next, I ate some. I really like it. It is similar to grapefruit and sweeter.
Then I got busy. I cut out some of the pith to freeze for use on poison ivy. I probably will give it to someone else, since I don't seem to react to poison ivy. LOL.
Prepared the skin for candying. Sliced the skin into strips. This time I removed almost all of the pith,next time I may leave a little more on. To prepare the skin, add it to a saucepan and cover well with water, boil for 10 minutes. Drain and repeat the same step two more times.
Then I took half of the strips and left it plain (on the right) The other half I candied. TO do that simply add about equal amounts of water (and skins) again to the pan. After reading several recipes and knowing I like things tart, I only added about 1/4 cup of sugar to the saucepan. You slowly boil way the water, stirring as you go.
Then I dehydrated the skin for about an hour. I waited until I thought it looked right. 
The ones cooked in the sugar bath, I shook in a baggie of a little more sugar to coat the pieces. 
The ones without the sugar bath, I laid out in a pan and broke up a dark chocolate bar on top and heated it in the oven until the chocolate melted.
After the chocolate had melted, I stirred it up and let it cool.
Here are the results. Dark chocolate cover pomelo skin and candied pomelo skin.
I also added some of the skin to a jar and covered with vodka. I am going to see if I am able to make some essential oil from it. I will keep you posted.
There you have it. Pomelo 6 ways. 1) to eat, 2) as a hat, 3) remedy for poison ivy, 4) chocolate covered, 5) candied and 6) essential oil. I forgot to tell you, both of the candied skins are wonderful! They are almost gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment