Friday, October 11, 2013

How to Store Eggs With Mineral Oil...

When I began preparing, learning how to store eggs long term with mineral oil was one of the first storage methods I tried.
The eggs I use most often are store bought (until I get chickens). Occasionally
 I get a dozen fresh eggs from a friend. Which I store in the same manner.
When you are working with fresh eggs; you want to wipe off the "schmutz", but don't wash the "bloom" off. This bloom actually provides a natural barrier for the egg. With fresh eggs, you are able to wipe them off and they will keep for days without refrigeration. Wash them when you use them.


How to Store Eggs with Mineral Oil:
1. Check your eggs against light for cracks and just use those first, don't store.
 




2. Take the eggs out of the little cups in the carton. Trust me you will appreciate that later. Otherwise things get a little slippery and it's harder to grasp them.


3. Warm up a little mineral oil. I do about a tablespoon for 18 eggs.


Several people have asked about using other food grade oils.
Sadly, other oils will eventually go rancid. (* see note at the end about the new method I am trying)


4. Slather them with a little mineral oil.


5. Place them small tip down in the carton.


6. I found one with a slight crack & set it aside.


7. Afterwards I date the box with the month/year. If stored properly in a cool, dry, dark location the eggs should last about 9 months. I write 9 months, just in case I forget. Then put the carton away.
8. Once a month I turn the eggs over (flip upside down) to keep the yolks from settling.


I first started storing eggs this way in October 2012 and was still using the eggs one year later (1013) this is after being stored in my fridge. Here they are in my fridge.
This is a process for long term storage of eggs on the shelf up to nine months. As with any long term storage, the shelf life is dependent on keeping things in a dark, dry, cool location. The cooler the location, the longer it lasts.  I haven't actually kept them on a shelf yet. I choose to keep them in the fridge, since I have the space. BUT, if we lose power (short term or permanently), I have eggs stored for many meals.

* NOTE: I am now in the process of trying to use coconut oil for storing my eggs. 

        
_________________________________________________________

UPDATE: In April 2013, I had a carton of eggs that I hadn't prepared with mineral oil. So I decided to compare some prepared stored eggs with ones not prepared. 
These are the dates from the cartons on the eggs.
The one on the left has been stored slathered with mineral oil, which extends the life of the eggs. See how round and firm the yolk is? The left one is 6 months old and still tasted delish...
The one the right, while still edible after about 6 weeks in the fridge, just wasn't as fresh looking.



When you are testing freshness of your eggs there is always the float test. Place the egg in a bowl of water, if it sinks it is really fresh. If the egg is still on the bottom, but is starting to stand up it is still good to use. If the egg floats to the top...do not use it, it isn't fresh.
But, the best test I have found is simply sniffing the egg as you open it. There will be no doubt if your egg isn't fresh. 

I participate in the Amazon Associate Program where I receive a small commission for products you buy that I recommend. There is no extra cost to you & I only recommend products that I used and like. If you use Amazon, your purchases through my store help fund the underwriting of my blogs. I really appreciate each purchase.
1322


4 comments:

  1. How did the coconut oil test results come out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have fresh eggs that have no dirt on them do you have to wash them before putting mineral oil on them and then putting in the fridge ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just want to share that we tried this last year. We didn't wash them. We just rubbed mineral oil on them as we took them out from the carton, then put them back in the carton, and in the fridge. The eggs we stores in April still came out fresh when we used them in September. We preserved another batch in November. Hope that helps.

      Delete
  3. I don't see the answer to the question above about how the coconut oil test turned out. I have a lot of coconut oil at home I"d love to use.

    ReplyDelete