Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Best kept secret...

Sometime in the spring of 2013 I learned about LDS (Latter Day Saints) canneries & the LDS online store. 
First, there is an online LDS store. There is a limited selection & the store is a little hard to navigate. BUT, they have GREAT prices & they ship for free. plus there is not a lot of fluffy items, just basics. Have I mentioned that I don't like to go shopping? 
In May, my first shipment from the LDS online store arrived. I purchased a case (6 #10 sized cans) each of red wheat, oats & AP flour. I can't begin to tell you how easy it was.







Then, I ordered some lids (to reseal the open cans & 7 mil. Mylar bags. These are extremely heavy duty bags.
(250 bags for $94. That's .38 cents a bag)




Then, honestly somewhere in all my craziness called life, I forgot about the next goal, to visit a LDS Cannery. It is basically a giant store of already canned, long term storage food.. I have heard amazing things about the products, prices and people.Sadly a lot of these canneries have now closed.
You can try to find a cannery located near you here: Home Storage Centers 
Tammy Milsmom shared about her recent trip to an LDS cannery. "Absolutely unbelievable. Shopping at the LDS cannery is the BEST possible experience with amazing prices. I do not believe you could possibly get a better deal anywhere else. In fact, unless you got the ingredients free, I don't think you could grow/preserve/store it any cheaper. Not possible. GREAT people, GREAT experience. Be warned, you can buy more than your car can carry!  (Oh they will let you borrow a canning machine for free for one week, too. And their prices for oxygen absorbers, mylar, etc., are also unbeatable!)"
Seriously, check out their online LDS store, I think you will be pleasantly surprised. 

If you don't want to purchase that many Mylar bags, Amazon actually has some pretty great deals for smaller amounts with oxygen absorbers. What I do here is simply share our preparedness journey. If you liked this post we would love it if you joined our Perky Prepping Gramma community on Facebook, comment or share. Plus it would just make my day. There all decent deals. The second one (without the picture) offers different quantities from 10-500.


     
Your order is so very appreciated, because anything ordered through my Amazon Associate links helps me to be able to stay home and write for you.Perky Prepping Gramma is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.


8 comments:

  1. So you don't have to be Mormon to buy things at their Home Storage Center? What do you do, just drive over there and go in like it was any other other grocery store?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no you don't have to be LDS to shop there. Somewhere online you can find their order forms and you can call ahead but I think you just go with your list and help can some items there and pick up what you need. I would just call ahead they will help you!

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I'd be happy to volunteer my time in exchange for the privilege of being able to shop at the LDS store! I'm going to call my local one today.

      Delete
    3. https://providentliving.lds.org/self-reliance/food-storage/home-storage-center-order-form?lang=eng

      in case you haven't found it here is the order form

      Delete
  2. I've been wanting to head out to the store as well. I recently ordered some oatmeal and was pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not LDS but I do shop at the cannery in Atlanta, which is a 3 hr drive away, I live in AL. They are moving away from the bulk items and will be only selling those same items already in #10 cans. We went last mth and bought apples, milk, some beans. They were almost out of everything else in bulk. I plan on going back and buy again next mth. I buy my mylar bags from their on line store. I pay a total of 143 for the 250 mylar bags and 300 pk of ox. I just like buying extra each time. I print off the order form before I head up there and pay cash. I try and get there as early as possible. I got lost last time, and they were kind enough to wait 5 min for me. They must close doors right on time! I figure who better to get supplies from then from folks who have been doing this longer then most. I have all the basics that they offer and am so glad that they have allowed non members to shop there. When we first started going, we called and got their hours. They are only opened Mon, Wed, Sat 830- 2. I might be wrong on the week days, as we normally go on Sat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was raised LDS...and I can honestly say their chocolate pudding is the best pudding mix in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, thank you for sharing the order form. https://providentliving.lds.org/self-reliance/food-storage/home-storage-center-order-form?lang=eng

      Delete