Saturday, October 19, 2013

Sliced Apples in Simple Syrup

 Friends gave us some apples from an orchard & I decided to try my hand again at WB (water bathing). So, I opted for simple. Apples canned in simply very light syrup. 
I used the directions from the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving
I did about a third of this recipe.
10-12 lbs apples, stemmed, peeled, cored and quartered, treated to prevent browning* and drained (about 30-36 medium)
1 batch hot light or medium syrup
8 (16 oz) pint or 4 (32 oz) quart glass preserving jars with lids and bands

I have to admit, if I was doing more apples, I might not have used my apple corer/peeler. But, I get a kick out of using it.


Directions:
1.) PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
2.) PREPARE syrup by combining 1/4 cups sugar and 5 cups water for very light syrup.in a stainless steel saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Reduce heat to low and keep warm until needed, taking care not to boil down.
3.) COMBINE apples and syrup in a large stainless steel saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and boil gently for 5 minutes, until heated through. 







4.) PACK hot apples into hot jars, using a slotted spoon, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Ladle hot syrup into jar to cover apples leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band until fit is fingertip tight. 







5.) PROCESS jars in a boiling water canner for 20 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed. 
 

*To treat apple slices to prevent browning, apply Ball® Fruit-Fresh® Produce Protector according to the manufacturer's instructions or submerge cut apples in a mixture of 1/4 cup lemon juice and 4 cups water.

I thought I'd try dehydrating the peels (and some layers) for a snack for DH.He is using them for a snack.

2 comments:

  1. I've put my dehydrated peelings in a coffee bean grinder. Made a fine powder. Can use in teas, pies, puddings anywhere you want a sprinkle taste of apples.

    ReplyDelete