Saturday, March 9, 2013

Lattes & Milk for storage...

What was that? Storing lattes? Storing milk?

I am committed to storing what I eat & eating what I store.
When I was making the decisions about pressure canning milk products, I read up about the issue and asked specific people (bloggers) that I trusted if they canned milk or not. There are very few that I would completely trust their opinion. So, I knew there are established, long term canning, prepping bloggers that have canned & dehydrated milk.
Yet, I must add the disclaimer that is isn't recommended by the USDA. What I encourage each person to do is to read both sides of the issue and determine what you believe is best for you & yours.
These are the types of milk I currently have in storage. Each has a purpose. I have tried each of them. These are used for cooking various foods.


I pressure canned milk & dehydrated my own milk. The reason is I actually use a lot of milk in cooking. Whole milk, half & half. That being said; I also get my milk & lattes for free, so I feel free to experiment more. 

For pressure canning of the milk; I used pints at 10# for 15 minutes. It has sort of a Parmalat taste to it. But wonderful for cooking. Since I am still in the testing phase, I plan to use it through out the year. So far I have used it 12 months out (100913). [edited]
Here are more specific directions for pressure canning milk. "White Stuff from Cows..."












For dehydration of the milk and the lattes I used the same process.
I poured 1 cup of latte (or milk) into a fruit roll-up tray while the tray was sitting in my Excalibur dehydrator.
I set the temperature at 125 (edited) degrees. For some reason it pooled to one side of the trays, so initially, every 1/2 hour or so, I carefully turned the trays around 180 degrees.



Once it was almost completely dry (somewhere between10-12 hours) it looked mostly flaky with some slightly damp patches. Using a Pampered Chef cleaner/scrapper I released all the flakes and damp areas, re-trayed (all onto one tray at this point) them and continued to dehydrate until everything was completely dry.


Then I used the a blender to grind the flakes into small bits.
Then these flakes are vacuum sealed into quart canning jars, when I get enough.
I have rehydrated the lattes using a little over 13 teaspoons of dehydrated mix, adding hot liquid to make one cup.



 
The initial mixture for my lattes is 12 ounces of milk (½ & ½) and 8 shots of espresso. I like them strong. I did try dehydrating one batch with sweetener, which didn't work out well. Just wouldn't get completely dry.

To rehydrate I measured 13 tsps. into a jar and added enough boiling water to equal 1 cup. Mixed it up, strained the fats out, this is the end results.
There you have it. Currently, if you have questions, ask them on the facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment