Saturday, June 13, 2015

Everything I Really Needed To Know, I Learned Growing Up On A Farm

Recently Mr. Perky and I were having lunch at a little diner in our new area. I found this photo copy of a cropped newspaper article in a page protector and posted with a thumbtack on the dingy wall. I have tried to locate who the author was, to no avail and thought long and hard about sharing this heart touching piece of farm life wisdom. 


Everything I Really Needed To Know, I Learned Growing Up On A Farm
Author Unknown
Several years ago Robert Fulghum, a columnist for the Kansas City Times, wrote a story titled “Everything I Ever Really Needed To Know, I Learned in Kindergarten.” It was an instant hit with readers and led to a best selling book. Because imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, I thought I'd copy Fulghum's approach but twist it a little. So here goes:
Honesty. I learned it is better to point out that lame heifer to a buyer rather than wait for the buyer to find her in the herd-or worse, not find her.
Charity. I learned the importance of giving to those in their hour of need. It could be taking a casserole to someone's home after a funeral or combining the wheat field of a farmer who has been injured.
Life and death. I've seen calves, lambs, pigs, puppies and kittens born. But I also witnessed death and the harshness of nature before I was three years old.
Compassion. I've seen my dad get off his tractor to move a bird's nest out of the was so he could cultivate a field.
Faith. I've watched the planting of tiny seed and had the assurance that they would sprout and make a good crop. I've watched a newborn calf struggle to its feet and understood that this fragile animal wold grow into a productive cow.
Work ethic. I remember looking out at a field full of hay bales and wondering if we would ever get them loaded and hauled to the barn. I came to realize that if you word steadily and stick to it those bales will slowly disappear from the field.
Patience. I know everything happens according to nature's schedule. We can't speed it up or slow it down; we can only work within its constraints.

Yes, just about everything I know worth knowing I learned and continue to to learn from farm families and farm life. I bet a lot of you feel that way too.

Here is the picture of the article I took. Maybe this will reach enough people and I will able to credit the author.
                             

No comments:

Post a Comment