Saturday, November 1, 2014

Getting to know my new neighborhood...

We have been traveling back and forth to Orange for a very long time (probably 20 years). Last weekend, I wanted to take the time to check out some of my local area merchants. I basically wanted to see what was available.
First I went to Yoder's Country Market

Love their selection of various spices, pastas, baking goods and bakery items. They also have a bookstore and outdoor furniture. 



I just bought a couple items this time & I received a 2015 calendar with coupons for each month.
Also, I went to visit Miller Farms Market. The gentleman in front of this main building, said "Wait, I wasn't smiling". I laughed and offered to take the picture again. He had gathered some apples from the market and headed across the street to the Farm House Kitchen across the street. I need to find out more. One of the things I have been thinking about is teaching pressure canning, dehydrating, etc. 



I picked up some local fresh eggs and honey. I prepped my eggs with mineral oil and now I have some store at our new house. 
How to store eggs for nine months: Redux: Egg-cellent Egg-ducation


Buy Fresh, Buy local ya'll



4 comments:

  1. Great Farm Market! Love the Farm's Cooking Classes too!! Hope you can start teaching canning at this Farm. Wouldn't that be just super neat. Think of all the people you can teach to can and store their food for long-term.

    When you say you visit "Orange" often, is this Orange County, California??

    I'm going to start storing eggs drenched in mineral oil too. Hope to have our own chickens if we can sell this place and buy the farm. We put an offer on a small, 20-acre Farm but it's contingent upon us selling our home. Hope we can sell our home as our hearts are busting with excitement over the Farm.

    Sounds like you had a great day. Hope your move goes smoothly for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, ha. It's actually Orange County, VA.
    I am still working through various ideas of what to do to earn income when we move.
    I would love to be able to just continue doing what I do here in a classroom experience. That would e fun! ~Perky~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of that Farmer's Market "Fresh From The Farm" business.
    IF we get our farm (fingers crossed) and there isn't something like this in the small town, I'm seriously thinking on the idea of finding a location and opening something similar. Wouldn't it be neat to have a place to sell your left-over veggies, eggs, crafts, or attend a class on canning, etc.?
    After reading your post, it's all I can think about (besides the Farm).
    I hope you can find a nice place to teach others to can. You explain things so even I can understand how to do it plus your pictures are outstanding. I know there are a lot of people out there who would greatly benefit from all your knowledge.
    I'll be praying for you that you find the avenue you need to teach your skills to others.
    Have a Great Week Ahead - Bobbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bobbie,
      With the resurgence of all things fresh and vintage skills I believe it could work. :D

      Delete