Saturday, July 5, 2014

What? Perky Coffee Custard...

I am a firm believer in "use what you store & store what you use".
Recently I made custard and coffee custard from stored items. In fact I have made coffee custard multiple times, I love it that much. The bonus is it is made from things I have stored. There are also links in the post that will show you how to pressure can, preserve and store the same items yourself.
The cool thing about custard is the recipe is so basic:
2 cups milk (pressure canned milk)

2 eggs (preserved fresh eggs)
1/2 sugar
VIA ( I use Italian blend coffee)  (associates link)
You may also add DIY vanilla extract. I like it both ways. 
Then you just multiply that times how much you wish to make. 
First you scald the milk by putting the milk in saucepan on the stove at medium heat. Stir as the milk heats up & when small bubbles from around the edge of the pan it is scalded. At this point whisk in one package of VIA ( I use Italian blend coffee)  (associates link) for each 2 cups I am making. Remove from heat. Allow to cool a little. But you could just make a cup of extra strong coffee to add. 


While cooking the milk crack your eggs and whisk together and add your sugar.
Whisk the egg/sugar mixture together with the milk.


Note: how nice the four month old farm eggs look on the right compared to eggs I purchase this week from the store (on the left).
Pour in to a buttered baking dish. For a smoother custard, strain mixture as you pour it into the pan. I find that cooking the custard in a water bath makes a very smooth custard. To do that place the cooking dish into a larger dish (I then place it in the oven) and add water to the larger dish, about half way up.


                          


Now recipes say cook at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes. I actually do a lower heat (my oven runs hot) and the test if it is done is to insert a knife into the center and it comes out clean (not milky).



 I will learn not to eat it late at night.



________________________________________________________

Perky Prepping Gramma is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.

I would love it if you liked me on facebook (Perky Prepping Gramma) and join our awesome community. There you are able to receive all my original content first hand.
Smiles to you.  ~Perky Prepping Gramma~
updated 093014(120)

1 comment: