Monday, April 14, 2014

Pasta Carbonara from Food Storage

For the life of me, I never seem to be able to follow a recipe to the letter. I tend to always add and subtract based on my tastes. That being said, I wanted to make Pasta Carbonara (this was my first time making the dish), utilizing only food from storage. You know, use what you store, store what you use. This is a rich bacon and egg pasta dish,and i used the recipe here as my jumping off point. Pasta Carbonara II from All Recipes.com
These are the ingredients that I actually used from storage. I actually packed everything up in box and made the dinner at a friends house.

1 pounds of spaghetti (stored)
2 T. olive oil (didn't use, because I don't store olive oil. Everything turned out fine with out it)
8 slices of bacon (crumbled) (from my pressure canned bacon)
1 onion (that I dehydrated)
1 clove garlic (that I dehydrated)
4 eggs (stored with mineral oil)
1/2 grated Parmesan cheese (this store really well unopened on the shelf) and I also used smoked Gouda (which I waxed in 2013)
salt & pepper

It was so simple. I basically prepared the recipe, just baking my bacon
adding extra cheese.
Let me tell you, it was a big hit, especially the 12 year old. WIN!


2 comments:

  1. Wanting to make this ! Question did you just crack the raw eggs over hot pasta? At what's point did you use eggs and how?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. K & CJ,
      I added the bacon fat and sauteed onions and garlic to the pasta first. Since I was using stored eggs, I cracked them into a bowl first then added them to the pasta, which was still warm. I did have the stove on low, to insure they did get cooked enough. Then I added the cheese. :) ~Perky~

      Delete