Tuesday, July 2, 2013

How To Store Dessert Mixes in Mylar Bags...

I have to admit, I really find using the mylar bags a simple way to dry store & more cost effective. You are able to get the mylar bags and OA's (oxygen absorbers) from a lot of places. I am now getting mine from the Store LDS website and they will ship for free.The initial cost may seem high, but you get 250 bags for $94. That is a cost of 38 cents per bag. 
First, I took the mixes out of their boxes & labeled them with a sharpie, cut out the directions. Then I placed two mixes in each bag & labeled the outside of the mylar bags.

I poked little holes in the inner bags, to allow the air to escape.














I set up the OA's (oxygen absorbers), pulled out what I needed...














...then stuffed the rest into canning jars to save.


I had found out yesterday, the Food Saver doesn't take the air out of the mylar bags, but it does seal the bags. That's why I added the OA's, to take out the air.


Honestly, we don't do a lot of cakes and such for dessert. So I cleared out the cabinets over the refrigerator  where I found stuff I NEVER use (giving most of it to Good Will). Stored the mixes in that cabinet.



What I do here is simply share our preparedness journey. We would love it if you joined our Perky Prepping Gramma community on Facebook.



Perky Prepping Gramma is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.


8 comments:

  1. PPGramma, are you using a sealer machine to seal the mylar bags? I am really new to this and haven't used my mylar bags yet. Hoping yo can help me out. Thanks a bunch for your posts, I try to keep up w/them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ruth,
    Yes, I am using a Food Saver to seal the bags closed. You can also use a standard iron to seal them on medium heat.
    I am all about newbies & questions. I often say, when I started,I had questions I didn't even know to ask. :)
    Have you liked me on Facebook & clicked for all posts? That will put me in your newsfeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello my name is lisa. Just thought I would throw in a tid Bit. After I add my foods to my mylar bag I start ironing across the top. I use my flat iron for my hair! ! It works awesome and gets both sides nice n hot at the same time! I go all the way across the top except for about about a half inch and insert a straw. I iron on both sides of straw so its nice and tight. Then suck the air out. Not ideal but works wonderful. After most air is out I pull the straw and iron shut. And I also add the o2 bag in the mylar as well. I had tried my sealer as well with no luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Heart2Prep,
    Those are good tips you shared. ~Perky~

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have just started using mylar bags and oa. Some of the bags are not shrinking like I think they should. I put 1 oa in each bag. Am I doing something wrong
    Juanita

    ReplyDelete
  6. Big thanks to mylar bags for keeping things fresh and fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Revolutionize dessert storage with custom Mylar bags! Keep mixes fresh by sealing in a clean, dry Mylar bag. Remove air, add an oxygen absorber, and label for easy access. Enjoy long-lasting, delicious desserts anytime.

    ReplyDelete