Friday, April 24, 2015

Can you venture a guess...

On the top shelf, in the closet - sat this box of very soft cloth to be used should the day ever arise when toilet paper is no longer available. It's um..sort of even color coordinated. When I started preparing, I knew that t.p. was one of those items that we used everyday (obviously), but I got to thinking just how much t.p. could a person store?
While I actually know some people that have committed space to store MANY years worth of t.p., I made up my mind that I would store at least one years worth and at the max two years worth.
I am not ashamed to say that when we run out of the "good stuff", we will be using "personal cloths". I have saved super soft cloth to cut into smaller squares. They are now in the pile of boxes to move to our new home. 




Somewhere in the back of my mind I also remember seeing on some show on the History channel about the ancient Romans, where they used urine a a bleaching agent for whites. Now, I haven't actually tried this tip, just know that tidbit of information is tucked away. But, that information is also in several other places, including in the writings of Jane Austin & The Compleat Servant Maid.
"Before that you suffer it to be washed, lay it all night in urine, the next day rub all the spots in the urine as if you were washing in water; then lay it in more urine another night and then rub it again, and so do till you find they be quite out.Hannah Woolley, The Compleat Servant-Maid, 1677"
I will continue to store my favorite toilet paper. But, I certainly have my back up plan. Do you? 

I have actually been waiting to write this little blog post for awhile now, as I had to dismantle my food storage shelves in the closet to share a picture. Below are some really interesting sites I found when trying to find the above quote. I hope you find them as interesting as I did.

The Compleat Servant-Maid
Old and Interesting

fullonica: laundry

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for bringing up this subject. I too had wondered just how much T.P. one can actually store.

    I think the use of these cloths for #1 jobs would be doable and save the t.p. for the "full load" jobs. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for bringing up this subject. I too had wondered just how much T.P. one can actually store.

    I think the use of these cloths for #1 jobs would be doable and save the t.p. for the "full load" jobs. :-)

    ReplyDelete